Vote for Center of the Universe by Jarrah Gurrie Manolo Blah Blah: Bonjour!

Monday, November 20, 2006

Bonjour!



I had a wonderful time this past week - my first really big assisting job, and it was in Paris! The shoot was for Dior's next Spring/Summer campaign and starred Gemma Ward, who is my favourite model, and is also Australian. John Galliano came each day too. Pictured above is the Aussie contingent - Gemma, Andrew and I.

I stayed in a lovely hotel near the Jardin des Tuileries and we were transported everywhere by a driver and fed really well with buffet breaky/lunch/dinners at the studio and endless snacks (very important). And free mini bar! I wonder how long these things are going to impress me - I just love free food, what can I say? And it was so cool being picked up from the airports by drivers holding signs with our names on them. Makes travelling so much nicer - no taxis or buses or trains.

The actual work was really interesting and I feel like I've learned a lot. And I was amazed by how lovely everyone was - there were no big egos or bitchy attitudes like the fashion industry stereotypes would have you expect. I can't wait to see the images printed in magazines and on billboards - they look fantastic and I'm so proud to have worked on this campaign. They'll probably come out in February.

I joked to Andrew that this whole trip was like a "Make a Wish Foundation" prize... Everything was just so perfect - Paris, working for (in my opinion) the best fashion photographer in the world at the moment, working with Gemma and a whole crew of great people, for Dior. I'd been dreaming of an opportunity like this for years. Even though we were working really hard, it was better than a holiday because we were treated so well and travelled in great comfort.

I had a couple of hours free before we flew out of Paris so I walked across to St Germaine to the area David and I stayed 2 years ago. I couldn't find a crepe stand open however, but the breakfast of croissants, pain au chocolate and baguettes I'd just eaten contained enough white bread to get me through til next year. How do those Frenchies stay in shape with all that white bread and cheese?

I've tried to upload more photos but Blogger's acting strange, so I'll update with more later.

5 Comments:

Blogger la_conde said...

sounds ace!

5:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds like a dream come true, Lou! Congratulations! Can't wait to hear all about it, when you arrive home in A MONTH!! xo

10:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

well done Lou, sound like you had a great time. It'll be great to see those photos. Hopefully there will be lots more jobs to come.

I think the frenchies as you call them stay so thin cos the leave the pain au chocolat to the tourists... oh and they walk everywhere, unlike you my pampered friend. I'd love to be chauffered around though. Maybe I can get Gerard to hold up a sign with my name on it when he takes me to work in the morning...

12:39 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Miss Lou, I'm so EXCITED AND HAPPY for you (I couldn't resist using caps). This is just the beginning of wonderful things for you. Do photographers need lawyers?
wishing you love, magic and heaps of work!!
big kiss. fidelio

4:50 AM  
Blogger Manolo Blah Blah said...

Everyone needs lawyers Fidelio, they make the world go round.

9:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home