Let them eat Vegemite!

We saw Marie-Antoinette today, which I've been looking forward to since seeing the wonderful teaser-trailer earlier this year. I really liked it. It's not a historic bio-pic, if that's what you're after. It's pretty much just a film about the young queen in her insular world at Versailles - flowing champagne, delicious cakes, lavish costumes and more cakes. The modern soundtrack really suits the film, and doesn't disrupt it. The only visual anachronism is a randomly placed pair of Converse sneakers among her shoe collection, which was really odd. Blink and you'll miss them.
Ms Dunst did a great job, and I enjoyed seeing my friend Rose Byrne on the screen again,* playing a constantly tipsy duchess with such authenticity.
Oh and on the way home we had a celebrity sighting, right near where we saw Uma Thurman, in Gramercy Park (the park you need a key to get into). Playing stickball with his son, inside the park was John Leguizamo. He is of course famous for the roles of Toulouse-Lautrec in "Moulin Rouge!", Tybalt in "Romeo + Juliet" and Luigi in "Super Mario Brothers".
And finally in this blog update, David and I were most disturbed to read on the Herald Sun website (thanks Phal) that the US has banned Vegemite! You can't import it, or bring it in through your suitcase (is that the same as importing?) because it contains folate, which is only allowed to be added breads and cereals. Now I'm no Rosemary Stanton but I'm pretty sure that the foods they DO allow here are actually pretty fatty, sugary and bad for you....I don't understand how Vegemite is seen as a bad thing. We are going to have to buy the remaining $12 jars of Vegemite left at the local Australian cafe, before they sell out. If we don't we'll be forced to eat only American spreads, like this....

*not really my friend, but we did spend about 30 minutes chatting at the "Takeway" wrap party, where she was super drunk.


7 Comments:
ooh!!! peanut butter and grape GOOBER jelly! woohoo!
did you know about the cons before you saw the movie? or did you just happen to see them in that split second. Its like the airplane that you can see fly over the top of Guy Pearce in the count of monte Cristo. Only so much more avoidable...
No, I think the sneakers were in the shot on purpose - like Coppola put them there as a wink to her audience.
OMG! That is so dum. Count of Monte cristo is set the in 1930's - before planes invented!. so dum
OMG! That is so dum. Count of Monte cristo is set the in 1930's - before planes invented!. so dum
can i just ask who Hugo is...?
I don't know Hugo - who are you anonymous?
Post a Comment
<< Home