Vote for Center of the Universe by Jarrah Gurrie Manolo Blah Blah: Magnolia Bakery

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Magnolia Bakery

I tried to upload some photos for this post but blogger's not showing me any love. I'm afraid it's a text only update today.

I went for a nice walk over to the West Village today. It's a 25 minute walk west, and in that short time I passed 3 different film shoots - one was for an upcoming film "PS I Love You", starring Rachel Weisz, and the second film was that big Will Smith blockbuster "I Am Legend" shooting in Washington Square Park - it was the biggest film shoot setup I've ever seen - huge HMI lights on cranes everywhere, but alas, no sight of Will. I think they're doing night shoots later today. And the last film is one being done in our very own street, by Tom McCarthy, the director of "The Crossing Guard", which I haven't seen. After dinner David and I walked past the catering cart, wondering if we could pass as film crew and score some free dessert. I think we just need some walkie-talkies and bum bags (or fanny packs as they call them) and the cakes will be ours.

So I ended up on Bleecker street, and had a browse through the Marc Jacobs store - very nice. Then I bought 2 cupcakes from Magnolia Bakery, and I think I've decided that these famous cupcakes aren't all that great. They still have some appeal because the store is situated in such a beautiful part of the city, and they are so pretty to look at, but they kind of smell funny and there is WAY too much frosting, even for a sugar fiend like me.

It's such a nice time of year here in Manhattan - everyone's really getting into the spirit of Halloween. People have put jack-o-lanterns on their doorsteps, and there are decorations hanging on doors and windows. All the stores have Halloween window displays, even the classy ones like Ralph Lauren and Marc Jacobs. I'll go around and take some pictures.

So now I need an idea for a Halloween costume! There's a few parties going on around town so I won't be able to get away with not dressing up. I wanted to go as Anna Wintour but I don't want to buy a fake fur just for that. There's this store "Ricky's" that sells cheap costumes - but just like in the film "Mean Girls" all the female costumes aren't really scary, they're just skimpy little uniforms like 'sexy nurse' and 'sexy cop'. Why do so many women see costume parties as an excuse to dress up tarty for the night?

Give me ideas! What should I dress as?
Here are some ideas for celeb dress ups:
celeb dress ups

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home