San Gennaro Festival

On Saturday David and I checked out the San Gennaro festival currently happening down in Little Italy. The area was crowded with people waiting to see the annual parade, complete with little nonnas pushing for the best spots - it was worse than Dimmeys on a Wednesday (Pensioner discount day).
The actual parade was quite a non-event. First there was a marching band, then some guy called "DJ Louie" spinning an awful Euro techno version of "Sweet Caroline" (why???).
Here are some pics David took of the colourful characters at St Gennaro Festival....




Oh and all the carnies from Coney Island were there (except for Jarrah's Carnie Crush). They were trying to pass off pretzels and funnel cakes as traditional Italian fare. And if anyone wants a "Kiss me, I'm Italian" or "I heart my Italian Stallion" t-shirt I think there are still truckloads of unsold items down in Little Italy.
Summer is nearly over so I should savour these street festivals.


2 Comments:
what does dave have stuffed in his gob in that first pic?
It'sa meata-ball sandwich. MMm, thatsa spicy meata-ball!
Post a Comment
<< Home