I miss you Bakers Delight!

I don't want you to think I've entered that stage of living overseas where I whinge about the differences, but we've been here nearly 3 months and I still can't find good bread in this city. The supermarket loaves are very sugary, even the whole-wheat loaves, and they are always dry and non-fresh tasting, with use-by dates 2 weeks away so God knows how many preservatives are in them.
I bought a loaf today at "Trader Joe's" which sells organic things, and it was very dry and still quite sweet. It makes me realize how lucky we are in Australia to have bakeries in every shopping strip, selling delicious fresh loaves of all varieties. Bakers Delight and Brumbies should open up over here - they'd make a fortune because there are no bakeries here, nowhere to buy fresh, fluffy bread. Actually there are bakeries but they only sell muffins and cakes - they are important too but a person needs something to spread her jam on in the morning. I miss you country-grain-block, toast sliced (my Bakers Delight usual).


5 Comments:
Bailey.. if i were you, id be having withdrawals from fresh baked bread in Oz! All those american sweet bread things... i remember eating them... it just didnt feel right eating sweet bread with vegemite!!
I haven't eaten Vegemite over here yet! I found some at an Aussie cafe this week but it costs $12 for the jar! It's the standard size jar, pretty big I guess. And Tim Tams are $6 per packet. I bought a snot block and it was pretty good. And a sausage roll. Delicious.
two words - SULLIVAN BAKERY!! you'll notice little signs on lots of the good restaurants here saying that's where they get their bread. you should have the little pizza-like slices there. if they've just made them and they're still crispy they're amazing
I have to say that bread isn't their only problem. There is nothing worse than being in a restaurant in the US and having to put that sickly almost white butter stuff on sweet crumbly bread. How can one country get it so wrong...?
I haven't eaten much bread/butter at restaurants but I think the white stuff you're talking about is whipped butter, which I prefer. Much lighter. Plus I get it on my McDonalds hotcakes, hee hee. And the sweet crumbly bread you mentioned - are you sure that wasn't cornbread, the southern style side dish? It's like a dry piece of cake. Not a fan of that. I miss Marios on Brunswick Street!
Post a Comment
<< Home