Vote for Center of the Universe by Jarrah Gurrie Manolo Blah Blah: Ice-skating fun

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Ice-skating fun


This weekend was fun. Started it off with Margaritas at the bar under our apartment, with Huong, Charlotte and Flo (4 young women out for cocktails - how very Sex and the City - afterwards we ate Magnolia cupcakes and bitched about men. And then, I went home and typed "I couldn't help but wonder" a few times on my computer....). The problem with drinking in this city is, you have to tip the bartenders $1 for every drink you buy. This encourages them to be nice to you, which means they free-pour the spirits, which means you order a vodka orange, you get 90% of the glass filled with vodka, which negates the purpose of the mixer in the first place. Which means, yucky hangovers the next day.

So last night we stayed in and unfortunately our 'Netflix' copy of The Bourne Supremacy arrived broken in the mail, so we watched a film recommended to me by several friends, including brother John whose taste I usually agree with. The film was "Me and You and Everyone We Know", and aside from the 6 year old actor and his 'back and forth forever' monologue, which was hilarious but kinda wrong, this movie was pretty bad! The dad character couldn't act, the main female character was just plain annoying and the characters in general were very 2-dimensional. It just seemed very amateur, and it was trying too hard to be quaint and quirky. I don't know...maybe I've become a jaded New Yorker already. David thinks Miranda July is trying to be Todd Solondz. I've only seen Welcome to the Dollhouse so I can't comment. What did you think Margaret? (And all you readers).

Today (Sunday) we did something I've been wanting to for a long time: we went ice-skating! In Central Park! The view from the rink was so beautiful. Here are some snaps David took on my new camera of me and the Kiwis sisters.


Flo, Charlotte, me


Oops! Charlotte takes a tumble. Luckily David was there to capture the moment.

5 Comments:

Blogger Born Dancin' said...

Bah! What rot! Me and You etc was one of the best films I've seen in ages and you must have been affected by the cold over there. It's hilarious. Oh well, we'll have to agree to disagree.

9:12 PM  
Blogger Manolo Blah Blah said...

Was it meant to be hilarious? I only thought the little kid's scenes were funny - I thought the rest was meant to be quirky-serious.

9:14 PM  
Blogger Manolo Blah Blah said...

But isn't that little kid the best actor?! Where'd they find such talent.

9:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

FOREVER

5:49 AM  
Blogger Anna said...

It's one of my favourites as well!
Actually you reminded me that I should really watch it again.

7:29 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home