Busy, busy.

Working freelance as a photographer's assistant has its ups and downs. The downside is, the jobs can be very sporadic during slow months. The upside is I get to work with lots of different photographers, who shoot for different magazines in different styles. It's fun being in a new place every day, and you find yourself in situations you'd never normally be in. Yesterday for example, I was inside Harvey Weinstein's house. We were shooting his fiancee for Vogue magazine. When else would I get a chance to stand inside the 6 storey (gorgeous) townhouse of a Hollywood mogul? His fiancee is very beautiful and refined, as one would expect.
Also this week I worked on a portrait shoot of a young socialite (also for Vogue...Anna Wintour really loves glorifying rich girls who are famous for just being rich), and a 3 day fashion shoot with some very serious German assistants who informed me right from the start that they don't engage in chit chat, preferring silence while they work. Needless to say that it was a difficult three days for me, trying not to talk in the long breaks between shots when the model was being primped and preened. That is another downside to photoshoots - we have to wait literally hours for hair and make up to do their magic, then when we're ready to shoot we have to move like lightning. A friend in the film industry once told me they have a term for it: "Hurry up and wait". I want to buy a laptop so I can surf the web in the long hours of waiting.
Right now I'm at the office temp job. I'm hoping that soon I'll be getting enough photo-assisting work to retire from the financial headhunting industry! But it's a good job, they let me work whichever days I'm free. Which lately, thank goodness, have been rare. If anyone reading this wants to be poached from their financial company let me know. Maybe I'll get a commission.
I haven't had a day off in a few weeks so this weekend I'm hibernating and catching up on all the tv shows I've been recording on our magical DVR thingo (like Tivo). It'll be Frasier-Fest for me! As long as I can deter David from playing the awful Guitar Hero game he's become addicted to. Awful, awful game. So loud and irritating.
Hmm what else. Oh, the election! I voted at the consulate this week, it was fun. So nice to be in a room full of Aussie voices and it was just like voting back home, minus the long queues and sausage sizzles. Oh how I miss the sausage sizzles.


0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home