Vote for Center of the Universe by Jarrah Gurrie Manolo Blah Blah: Well hello there

Friday, April 20, 2007

Well hello there


I visited Tracey on a photoshoot this afternoon which was taking place near our apartment. For some reason the rich magazine couldn't afford the standard fashion-shoot campervans so the tens-of-thousands of dollars in precious clothes are being stored in a dingy old rental van. Fashion is not always glamorous dah-links.

It's been a rainy, dreary week but today the sun has finally shown its face, as has everyone in New York. The city's maddest, saddest and smelliest are out in force . I got the subway home tonight and was stuck in a carriage with a real stinker. This is the 2nd time in 2 weeks there's been a majorly stinky person on my train carriage. I love watching the other passengers' faces...some screw up their noses, some get up and move away from the offenders, while others, like stupid, polite me just sit there not breathing. I predict that very soon I'll get over being polite - this is New York after all.

My office job is ok. Quite dull really, but as expected I am increasing my knowledge of the financial world. I spend most of the day reading the curriculum vitaes (viti?) of the worlds' most educated, grossly overpaid people (yes, people, there are quite a few women up in the ranks, which is nice to see). It's also interesting to read about their career paths, and how they to the top. One guy did a PhD in lasers, and worked with lasers for 10 years and now he's the head of some bank. That scares me somewhat - a man with all that money, who knows too much about lasers.

Anyway, my job is to input all these over-achievers' info into our database, so I come across some crazy salaries. Most earn about $100k a year but it's all about the bonus baby - I'm talking $1, $2, even $6 million dollar bonuses! I am definitely working in the wrong industry. I've never had a job with bonuses. That's if you don't count the bakery job I had when I was 14 - when you're 14, a free nenish tart and a coffee scroll at the end of the day is kinda like $6 million dollars.

But it's not all about the office - I've got a couple of leads on some photo jobs, and I recently assisted a very well known French photographer, which was a great experience. No egos, no dramas, and delicious catering. I could talk for hours about the catering they have on photoshoots here - it's amazing. And it fascinates me that nobody eats the food! Someone said to me recently that if all that gourmet food was placed in your average office kitchen, it'd be devoured in minutes and without shame (a shout out to you Herald Sun peeps reading this!). But on photoshoots, there'll be cakes, desserts, pastries...and people just walk past, have a look and say "Oh, no, I shouldn't". I guess this is because they are offered that food every day - it's really not good to be eating chocolate mousse and key lime pie 5 days a week. Maybe 3 days, but not 5.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home